Mashed Turnips and Bacon
Before researching low carb alternatives to potatoes, I would pass turnips in the grocery store without a second glance. However, they can be a great substitute for many foods and easily absorb any flavors they're cooked with.
4 large turnips
1/2 cup bacon bits
2 TBSP grass-fed butter
1/2 cup almond milk
- Peel, wash, and cut turnips into cubes.
- Place in a pot and fill with water.
- Bring water to a boil and let simmer for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- Strain and rinse cooked turnips.
- Place in large mixing bowl and use fork to break up turnips into smaller bits.
- Mix all the ingredients with a hand mixer or other blender-type.
- Add almond milk and butter. Blend to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.