Mashed Rutabaga and Chives
Rutabaga is becoming one of my favorite root veggies to cook with due to its sweet flavor and low calorie count.
- 2 large rutabaga peeled, and cut into large 1" inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt for the water
- 2-4 tablespoons of chives (or green onions), depending on your taste and size of the rutabaga, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, full of cold salted water, add cut up and cubed rutabaga -- bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat and simmer until tender 12-15 minutes depending on the size of the pieces.
- Drain through a sieve and place rutabaga in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with a hand mixer, mashing up the rutabagas. Add chives, salt and pepper to taste. Be generous with the salt. Mash until you have desired consistency.