1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cups ripe diced tomatoes, or 2 cans (14 oz. each) diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the onions, peppers, garlic and spices.
- Stir frequently until the vegetables have softened -- about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce.
- Simmer until the tomato mixture begins to reduce, about 10-12 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, make 4 holes in the tomato mixture .
- Gently crack an egg into each indention.
- Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and cook on low until the egg whites are set.
- Uncover and add the fresh parsley.